Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
(Additional Breweries in Boroughs & Towns)

March 1, 2014

The document below is a supplement to pittsburghbrewers.com
City of Pittsburgh Annexation Index
Boroughs, Towns and Territories that made present day Pittsburgh
(Compiled by Edward P. Vidunas, 2013)


This document gives the dates that Boroughs, Towns and Territories became a part of the City of Pittsburgh (The City). There are several sources of information that are used in this list and are listed below. There appears to be some discrepancies with dates. This is currently a work-in-progress.

Territories Creating or Forming Allegheny County
(See Boroughs of Allegheny County, below)


Allegheny County was formed from parts of Washington and Westmoreland counties on September 24, 1788. The Counties of Butler, Crawford, Mercer and Erie were created from Allegheny County on March 12, 1800 as well as the Counties of Beaver, Armstrong and Warren from thereof. Venango County was formed from Allegheny County on March 13, 1800.

Allegheny County formed in 1788 with nine townships: Elizabeth, Pitt, Plum and Versailles between the rivers; St. Clair, Moon and Mifflin south of the rivers; and Deer and Ohio north of the rivers.

Territories Creating or Forming Allegheny City
(This section contains territories prior to the 1907 annexation by Pittsburgh)


Allegheny City was created by legislature on April 14, 1828 from part of Ross Township. It merged with Pittsburg in 1907.
Allegheny City was in existence from 1788 to 1907 when it was annexed by Pittsburgh.

Duquesne Borough (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Created by Legislature from apart of Reserve Township on April 5, 1849.
Merged with Allegheny City on March 18, 1868 and became the Eight Ward.

Manchester
Manchester Borough created by court from a part of Ross Township on November 2, 1843.
Manchester merges with Allegheny City on March 12, 1868.
Allegheny was annexed by Pittsburgh on December 6, 1907.
Manchester was incorporated into Pittsburgh on March 12, 1867.
This disparity is being looked into.

North End District (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Annexed by Alleghany City on March 21, 1873 by resolution of the Allegheny City Councils and became the Tenth Ward. The area is near Riverview Park on the North Side.

Reserve Township, parts of (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Incorporated on April 4, 1872 and added to the Seventh Ward by City Councils June 20, 1872. Reserve Township was taken from a portion of Ross Township.

Ross Township, part of (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Until the creation of Allegheny County in 1788 is was within Pitt Township, Westmoreland County. Part of Ross Township became Allegheny City in 1828.

Spring Garden Borough
Part of Spring Garden Borough was annexed on January 5, 1920

Territories Creating or Forming the City of Pittsburgh
(This section includes Allegheny City as a whole)


The Borough of Pittsburgh was created by state legislature on April 22, 1794 from part of Pitt Township. The borough was incorporated as a city from a borough by the Pennsylvania legislature on March 18, 1816 and divided into two wards. It then was divided into four wards (North, East, South & West) on December 18, 1829.

The following were incorporated into the City of Pittsburgh:

Allegheny City
Annexed by Pittsburgh in 1906.

Allentown Borough*
Created by court from a part of Lower St. Clair Township on March 12, 1870.
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on July 29, 1872 after approval by an Act of Assembly on April 2, 1872.
Entry date per Office of City Controller: December 1, 1894

Baldwin Township, part of
The Allegheny County Court of Quarter Sessions established Baldwin Township on February 24, 1844 from parts of Mifflin and St. Clair Townships.

Beechview Borough
Incorporated as a borough in 1905.
Annexed by Pittsburgh on January 4, 1909

Beechwood Borough

Beltzhoover Borough
Created by court from a part of Lower St. Clair Township on June 9, 1875

Birmingham Borough* (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Created by Legislature from a part of St. Clair Township on April 10, 1826.
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on July 29, 1872 after approval by an Act of Assembly on April 2, 1872.

Bloomfield
Was a part of Peebles Township when it was annexed by the City of Pittsburgh in 1868.

Brushton Borough
Incorporated as a borough in 1890 from a part of Sterrett Township.

Carrick Borough
Formed from a part of Baldwin Township in 1904 and annexed by Pittsburgh in 1927.

Chartiers Township, part of (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)

Chartiers Township, remainder of

City’s District 8/17 (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Annexed on July 7, 1845 (I cannot identify the location of this district)

Collins Township (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Incorporated on June 30, 1868. The City reformed into 23 Wards on this date.

East Birmingham* (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Created by Legislature from a part of Lower St. Clair Township on April 10, 1849.
An Act of Assembly on May 18, 1871 permitted it to divide it into two wards in which it did in May 1871.
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on July 29, 1872 after approval by an Act of Assembly on April 2, 1872.

East Liberty
Formerly in Peebles Township

Elliott Borough

Espen Borough

Garfield
Garfield was named after US President James Garfield (March 4, 1881 – September 19, 1881). Casper Taub of the Delaware tribe had claim to the land. He sold the land to Joseph Conrad Winebiddle and his descendants sub-divided and sold off plots of land. The first plot was sold on the day Garfield was buried, giving the name to the area.

Greenfield

Hazelwood

Hill District

Homewood

Knoxville Borough*
Incorporated on September 7, 1877 from a part of Lower St. Clair Township.

Lawrenceville Borough
Lawrenceville borough (and Oakland Township) was incorporated into the city on June 30, 1868. This date was when the city was re-incorporated into 23 wards.
Territorial Growth has April 2, 1872 along with several other boroughs and townships.

Liberty Township (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Incorporated on June 30, 1868. The City reformed into 23 Wards on this date.

Lower St. Clair (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)

McClure Township
Incorporated on April 15, 1873 and became the Eleventh Ward.

Montooth Borough (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)

Monongahela Borough* (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Created by Legislature from a part of South Pittsburgh Borough on April 8, 1858.
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on July 29, 1872 after approval by an Act of Assembly on April 2, 1872.

Mount Oliver Borough
Mount Oliver (named by Ormsby after his son Oliver) remains a separate borough to this day.

Mount Washington Borough*
Created by Legislature from a part of Lower St. Clair Township on April 12, 1866.
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on July 29, 1872 after approval by an Act of Assembly on April 2, 1872.

North Side

Northern Liberties Borough (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Created by Legislature from a part of Pitt Township on April 23, 1829.
Incorporated into the city on March 1, (1847 or 1837) and became the Fifth Ward.
Known today as the Strip District.

Oakland
Oakland Township (and Lawrenceville borough) was incorporated into the city on June 30, 1868. This date was when the city was re-incorporated into 23 wards.

Oakland Township
Incorporated on June 30, 1868. The City reformed into 23 Wards on this date.

O’Hara Township, part of

Ormsby Borough* (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on July 29, 1872 after approval by an Act of Assembly on April 2, 1872.

Peebles Township (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Incorporated on June 30, 1868. The City reformed into 23 Wards on this date.

Penn Township, part of (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)

Pitt Township, parts of (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Incorporated on July 7, 1845 and became the Sixth Ward.
Incorporated on December 4, 1846 and became the Seventh and Eight Wards.
Incorporated on December 15, 1846 and became the Ninth Ward.
Pittsburgh reformed into 23 Wards on June 30, 1868.

Pittsburgh Borough
The Borough of Pittsburgh was created by state legislature on April 22, 1794 from part of Pitt Township. Pittsburgh was incorporated as a city by an Act of Legislature of March 18, 1816.

Pittsburgh, City of

Saint Clair Borough*
Created by court from a part of Lower St. Clair Township on September 6, 1870.
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on July 29, 1872 after approval by an Act of Assembly on April 2, 1872.

Sheraden Township, part of
Incorporated as Sheraden Borough in 1894 and annexed by the City of Pittsburgh in 1907.

Soho

South Pittsburgh Borough* (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on July 29, 1872 after approval by an Act of Assembly on April 2, 1872.

South Side

Southern boroughs were on December 1, 1894
Allentown, East Birmingham, Birmingham, Mt. Oliver, St. Clair
Part of Lower St. Clair Township was annexed on February 7, 1924

Strip District
Northern Liberties Borough: March 1, 1837

Spring Garden Borough
Part of Spring Garden Borough was annexed on January 5, 1920

Sterett Township
(this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Sterrett Township was formed from Wilkins, by decree of court, September 13, 1879. The proceedings in this case were begun November 18, 1876. Under the act of 1871, the Pittsburgh city councils admitted a portion of Wilkins Township into the city, as the Thirty-seventh ward, by ordinance of May 2, 1873. After protracted litigation the courts annulled this proceeding, until erected into a separate township. The name was conferred in honor of James P. Sterrett, eighth president judge of the common pleas court of the county, to which position he was appointed January 4, 1862, upon the death of Judge McClure. He was elected in 1862, re-elected in 1872, and resigned in 1877 to accept an appointment to the Supreme Court.

Swissvale Borough, part of (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)

Union Borough (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on July 29, 1872 after approval by an Act of Assembly on April 2, 1872.

Union Township (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Territorial Growth has April 2, 1872 along with several other boroughs and townships.

West End

Temperanceville Borough*
(this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on July 29, 1872 after approval by an Act of Assembly on April 2, 1872.

Part of Chartiers Township was on October 4, 1920

Remainder of Chartiers Township was on January 1, 1921

West Liberty Borough
Incorporated on March 7, 1875 from a part of Allentown Borough.

West Pittsburgh* (this name is not used as a neighborhood name)
Created by court from a part of Chartiers Township on February 19, 1853.
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on July 29, 1872 after approval by an Act of Assembly on April 2, 1872.

Westwood Borough

Wilkins Township
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on May 2, 1873 after approval by an Act of Assembly on May 10, 1873. It became the Thirty Seventh Ward. However, the court annulled this.

Boroughs of Allegheny County
(Note every borough may be listed)
(See above for boroughs within Pittsburgh & Allegheny City)


Braddock Borough
Created by court from a part of Wilkins Township on June 8, 1867.

Duquesne Borough
Duquesne was created by legislature on April 5, 1849 from part of Reserve Township. It was incorporated into the city by legislature on March 18, 1868

Etna Borough
Created by court from a part of Shaler Township on September 16, 1868.

McKeesport Borough
Created by court from a part of Versailles Township on September 3, 1842.

Millvale Borough
Created by legislature from a part of Duquesne Borough and a part of Shaler Township on February 13, 1868.

Sharpsburg Borough
Created by court as Sharpsburgh (with an h at that time), from a part of Ross Township on December 14, 1841.

Tarentum Borough
Created by court from a part of East Deer Township on March 7, 1842.

West Elizabeth Borough
Created by legislature from a part of Jefferson Township on March 30, 1848.

Notes


Act of Assembly of April 25, 1903 (go to page 188)
Said act duly annexed the boroughs of Beechview, Elliott, Esplen, Monthooth, Sheridan and parts of the townships of Baldwin, OHara, Sterrett and Union.

Annexation Dates
Annexed by Pittsburgh City Councils on after approval by an Act of Assembly on . The annexation date is the date the Pennsylvania Assembly passed an Act to allow Pittsburgh to annex the territory. The approval date was the date the Councils of Pittsburgh passed an ordinance to actually annex the territory.

Councils of Pittsburgh
The Select and Common Council made the two councils for the City of Pittsburgh.
They were abolished in 1911, and were replaced by a single council of nine members.

School Districts
The courts created some school Districts. The North End District, Allegheny City, was created from Ross Township and afterwards merged in to Allegheny City.

Unknown Date
Negley (in the Hopkins Atlas) has boroughs (noted *) having merged with Pittsburgh on November 1, 1872 under an Act of Assembly, approved on April 2, 1872. I need to apply the November date.

Unidentified Dates
The Territorial Growth of the City of Pittsburgh document has entry dates but do not identify what the date is. The dates are not the dates in which Pennsylvania permitted annexation but the date Pittsburgh passed an ordinance to take the territory.

Ward Line 1
On October 25, 1869 by an Ordinance of the Pittsburgh Councils, the dividing line between the Tenth and Twelfth Wards was fixed from the line established dividing the previous Fifth and Ninth Wards.

Ward Line 2
On December 23, 1872 by an Ordinance of the Pittsburgh Councils, the center of Twenty Seventh Street made the dividing line between the Twenty Fourth and Twenty Fifth Wards.

Resources


Allegheny County, its Formation, its Cities, Wards, Boroughs and Townships, W. B. Negley, esq. of Pittsburgh, Published in Atlas of the County of Allegheny, Pennsylvania, G. M. Hopkins, Plate 4, 1876.

Territorial Growth of the City of Pittsburgh www.briem.cm/files/cityannex.html, unknown date. Taken from the Office of City Controller.

The Charter of the City of Allegheny
Authors: Allegheny (Pittsburgh, Pa.): Charters, McCombs, John C., Allegheny (Pittsburgh, Pa.), Ordinance Committee of 1870. Collection: Darlington Library Texts
A collection of
special acts of Assembly and ordinances of the city, appropriately indexed with an appendix obtaining the various acts of assembly, incorporating the borough, town and city of Allegheny, in operation previous to 1870, and such other acts of assembly and ordinances, that may be of general interest to citizens.

History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania (PDF)
A. Warner & Co. Publishers, Chicago, Illinois, 1889. Page 115-119, Volume II, Chapter X, Townships & Boroughs Wilkins – Sterrett (Wilkinsburg) – Braddock

Municipality Map of Allegheny from County of Allegheny

Ordinances of the Select and Common Councils of the City of Pittsburgh
For the year 1866

University of Pittsburgh, Digital Library, Hopkins Map Collection
Website: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/maps/browse.html

University of Pittsburgh, Digital Library, Kenyon Map of 1835

Darlington Books