February 25, 2014
McKeesport was created by court order from a part of Versailles Twp. on September 3, 1842. The Standard History of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania by Weston Arthur Goodspeed notes that a brewery existed in McKeesport in 1794, but does not identify a name.
b. 1845 Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany – d. March 1904 McKeesport
Ernst became an apprentice brewer at the age of 12 and although he started his own brewery (operating in 1878) he operated a hotel before retirement.
Appears to be unrelated to Reichenbach of the South Side.
McKeesport Brewing (Pittsburgh Brewing Co.)
4th Avenue at Ryan Alley
1909 Sanborn Map. Sheet 6 & 7 shows the brewery along 4th Avenue (B & O RR) at Ryan Alley (west side) with the bottling house on the east side.
Carl G. Vollmer (b. 1889) was superintendant and brewmaster in 1918. The brews were Lager and Beer. The brewery was listed in the Brewers Hand Book for 1918.
Believed to have succeeded the Eagle Brewery of Duquesne.
Their charter as filed with the Pennsylvania Secretary of State has the corporation enrolled on December 30, 1903. See, The Consolidation, below.
November 26, 2013 update: American Brewers Review, Volume 17, 1903 reported that Peoples was to build a new plant at the foot of Fifth Avenue, “having bought the ground for that purpose”.
Unknown location and it is an assumption that it is actually in McKeesport. According to the description in a land record book, the brewery was to have been in Versailles Township. It was known to be in operation on or prior to 1804. After Reed died the brewery became the Roads Brewery in 1814.
According to The First Hundred Years of McKeesport: An Historical and Statistical Description of the City of from its Inception Until its Centennial in 1884, 1894, the brewery was a three-story stone building and was falling down by the1830’s. It was located on Jenny Lind Street near Tenth Street. The book says it was “Rhodes’ or Reed’s brewery…”
The History of Allegheny County gives a brief biography of David Rhodes (b. 1813 in Lincoln Township) of McKeesport. His parental grandfather, Frederick, was a McKeesport brewer.
The 1876 Hopkins Atlas Plate 23 of Lincoln Township shows the S. O. Rhodes residence at Rhodes Landing west of Lovedale.
Tube City Brewing Co.
225 12th Street, or 1200 Walnut Street
Operating dates: 1903 to 1955
The 1918 brewmaster was Jacob Sutter. Tube City made Ale, Porter, Lager and Beer. The 1948 brewmaster was George A. Hartung. Incorporated on July 23, 1903. See The Consolidation, below.
American Brewers’ Review, Volume 19, 1905 reported that the People’s Ice & Cold Storage Company of McKeesport had consolidated with Tube City Brewing Co., the People’s Brewing Co., and the People’s Electric & Power Company under the name of People’s Ice & Cold Storage Company; 132 5th Avenue. The Industrial Directory of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Volume 1, 1914 had the name The People’s Ice, Light & Storage Co. W. S. Altmeyer was manager and it should be noted that the Altmeyer Theater was at this location before if burnt down.
On October 3, 1901The Pittsburgh Press reported a sewer gas explosion in the plant’s basement at Fifth & Market.
Peter Straub, founder of the Straub Brewery in St. Marys, Pa. worked in McKeesport for a short time but it is not known at which brewery.