Pittsburgh neighborhood (Allegheny County, Pennsylvania)

September 9, 2014

Hazelwood Historical Note

Hazelwood was a part of Peebles Township when it was annexed by the City of Pittsburgh in 1868.

Brewery Locations

Derby Brewing Company
5007-5011 Lytle & Tecumseh St
Preceded by: Hazelwood Brewing Co.
Derby Brewing (pronounced Dar-b) purchased Hazelwood Beverage in 1934 but was in operations only until 1938. In a site visit in January 2012, the building was still in place and being used by various companies.

Tavern Trove (.com) has labels illustrating Moerlein Lager Beer from Derby Brewing with Permit No. G-213.

Notice was posted for Sheriff Sale for the Derby Brewery, AKA Hazelwood Beverage Co. in
The Pittsburgh Post, September 2, 1950 for unpaid tax of $5,500.88. Charles A. Paterson was owner or reputed owner.

Hazelwood Brewing Company
Hazelwood Beverage Company
Followed by: Derby Brewing
5007-5011 Lytle & Tecumseh Streets
Incorporated on July 14, 1904.
Hazelwood Brewing Co. operated from1905 until 1920 when brewing operations ceased due to the national prohibition from 1920 to1933. They made cereal products and near beer during prohibition. They re-opened as the Hazelwood Beverage Co. in 1933 but sold to Derby Brewing Co, in 1934.
1918 Brewmaster was Oscar E. Hammer, according to the Brewers’ Handbook.
Hazelwood Brewery was making cereal beverage known as Famous by 1919.

Industrial Refrigeration, Volume 27 reported in 1904 on the construction of the new brewery. American Brewers’ Review, Volume 19, (January) 1905 reported that a contract was let for the construction of the brewery at a cost of $200,000.
Edward O’Donald, President: Dr. W. D. O’Brien, VP: Frank Koohne, Sec & Treasurer. The company took over the United Ice & Supply Co., which was shown on Hopkins 1904 Atlas, Plate 27.

On February 10. 1925, the US Government took Hazelwood Brewing Co. to court for violating Section 25 of the National Prohibition Act. Found at the brewery (at 3 am) were 3,835 barrels of beer, large amounts of hops and brewing equipment. The beer (brewed prior to June 30, 1923) was measured at 4%. After the appeals case it was destroyed by the government. The brewery did in fact have a license to brew beer: Pa U-358. Yes, brewing was legal during prohibition. But it had to be brewed or reduced to a lawful content.

United Ice & Supply Co. was a subsidiary of the Hazelwood Brewing Company. The Ice Company was taken over (unknown date) by the Consolidated Ice Company, which incorporated on April 1, 1899.