Pittsburgh neighborhood (Allegheny County, Pennsylvania)

October 14, 2016

Larimer Historical Note

Brewery Locations

Couch Brewery
1351 Washington Blvd near Negley Run
Owners: Darren Gailey and Cary Shaffer (brewmaster)
Received a brewery license on October 4, 2016.

East End Brewing Co.
Owner: Scott Smith, East End Brewing Company
147 Julius St
Google Map Location
Building at 6580 Frankstown Ave
Between Romley Way and Julius Street
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 was official moving in day.
This location offers a larger capacity and better service to customers, including parking.

In July 2014, East End Brewing Company received a license from the Commonwealth to operate a brewpub. This took affect on October 22, 2014 so as of that date East End is now a brewery and pub.

Special Note: This location for East End Brewing Company is about the middle of Julius Street (between Frankstown and the Railroad line). At the end of Julius at the RR sat the Liberty Brewing Company.
See the Homewood page.

Liberty Brewing Co.
Street address was given as Julius and Penn RR in the Pittsburgh Commodity Index published in 1913.
Hamilton Ave & Pennsylvania RR is given in some published documents but Hamilton Avenue was not extended to Julius in 1902.
Their charter as filed with the Pennsylvania Secretary of State has the corporation enrolled on January 6, 1903. The
American Machinist, Volume 26 (1903) had an entry that Liberty Brewing was just incorporated and will build in East End.
Opened 1904, Ceased brewing in April 1919, Closed 1920
Hopkins 1899 Atlas, Plate 12 does not show a brewery, but it is shown on Hopkins 1904, Plate 16.
1917-1918 Brewmaster was John Biesinger, who was made superintendent in 1920.
John Biesinger was working at Liberty in 1913 and was a member of the Mater Brewers Association of the United States. Their convention was held in Pittsburgh at the Monongahela House, October 9 to 11, 1913. He was Chairman of the Reception Committee.

Pittsburgh Gazette reported on June 4, 1920 that the brewing company was sold to the Reick-McJunkin Dairy Company. The Pittsburgh Press on May 16, 1929 reported the transfer of stock from the brewery to the dairy company.