Pittsburgh neighborhood (Allegheny County, Pennsylvania)

December 7, 2017

Lawrenceville Historical Note

Lawrenceville became a borough on February 18, 1834 and was annexed by Pittsburgh in 1867. It was part of Peebles Township. Please see the Lawrenceville History entry at the end of this page.

Brewery Locations

11th Hour Brewery
3711 Charlotte Street
Owners: Matt McManon
Opened for business on Thursday, August 31, 2017
McMahon Brewing Co. is the license holder and Eleventh Hour Brewing Co. is the property owner.

Alleghany Valley Brewery
46th St & Allegheny Valley Rail Road
Preceded by Z Wainwright Brewery (c. 1872)
Followed by Preceded by the St. Julien Brewery (c. 1882)
John P. Gangwisch moved to this location after the Penn Street brewery closed but also after he opened the Union Brewery in Bloomfield. Both
Industries of Pittsburgh and Industries of Pennsylvania have Gangwisch opening the Allegheny Valley Brewery in 1876. Ganhwisch went bankrupt in Bloomfield but opened here. He was partnered with a Mr. O’Reilly in 1882 as Gangwisch, O’Reilly & Company. (It may have been a misspelling but the Chamber used the O’Reily spelling) The brewery here went on to become the St. Julien Brewery

Tavern Trove has the brewery as a company but Sanborn has it as a brewery.
The Allegheny Valley Brewery under John Gangwisch is described in the Industries of Pittsburgh, page 137.

The 1872 atlas, plate 58 shows the Wainwright Brewery but the 1882 atlas, plate 9 shows the White Lead factory. It is possible that the 1872 atlas was not updated. The St Julian Brewery was here in 1882 according to state tax records.

Cinderlands Beer Company
3705 Butler Street 15222
Opened for public business on Saturday, December 2, 2017.
The LCB License holder, Lawrenceville Brewing Interest LLC received a pending brewing license on August 14, 2017. Lawrenceville Brewing Interest LLC owners are Jamie and Steve Warden although the LCB shows Evan J. Warden being the majority owner. The brewery kit arrived on October 20, 2017. The brewery and restaurant are open and operating. It is not known at this posting if brewing will remain after the Strip District locations opens.

Hop Farm Brewing
5601 Butler St
Established in 2012 by Matt Gouwens as Hop Yard Brewing
Became Hop Farm Brewing in June 2013. The facility officially opened to the public on Saturday, September 21, 2013.

Hop Yard Brewing
5601 Butler St
Established in 2012 by Matt Gouwens, Incorporated September 20, 2010.
Became Hop Farm Brewing in June 2013, Incorporated January 8, 2013.
Reported on Saturday, June 8, 2013 that the brew house was in place.

Iron City Brewery (Frauenheim & Vilsack Brewing Co.)
Iron City Brewery (Pittsburgh Brewing Co.)
Iron City Brewery (Iron City Brewing Co.)
34th Street at Liberty Avenue and Sassafras Street at Denny Street
Hopkins Atlas Group 1, 1872, Plate 54
The Iron City Brewing Company was established in the Strip District in 1862. See the Pittsburgh Brewing document in this work. The operations moved to Lawrenceville in 1866. At the time of 1899 accusation buy the Pittsburgh Brewing Company, the brewery was owned by Fraurenheim & Vilsack. Pittsburgh Brewing owned the brewery until
United Growth Partners purchased the brewery in 2007 and renamed the company the Iron City Brewing Company.
See Pittsburgh Brewing Company for the complete history.

Lawrenceville Brewery
3525 Liberty Ave
Opened 1996
Brewing operations of the Church Brew Works
Sean Casey, owner
Bryan Pearson, original brewer

Roundabout Brewery
4901 Butler St
Steve Slone who was formerly the head brewer at the Church Brew Works (Lawrenceville Brewery) has opened his own brewery in 2013 and started selling growlers in early July 2013. The
Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports July 12, 2013 as opening day but in 2014 it reported first year anniversary to be the 13th. Co-owner Dyana Slone is from New Zealand.

Roundabout poured their first pint as a licensed brewpub on May 17, 2014.

St. Julien Brewery
St. Julien Brewing Co.
46th Street (Church St) at AVRR
Preceded by Z Wainwright Brewery
Preceeded by the Allegheny Valley Brewery (under Gangwisch)
Gangwisch founded the Allegheny Valley Brewery at this site in 1876. Documents show the company name to be Gangwisch, O’Reily & Co in 1877 and that Richard Gangwiscg was with the brewery. The brewery was known as the St. Julian by May 1882 as they paid a tax to the Commonwealth at that time relative to their being chartered that year. St. Julien was shown on the 1884 Sanborn map but noted it to be the “formerly St. Julien Brewery”. The company was incorporated in 1881 and listed in the
Laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, page 279, for $100,000. Pennsylvania Department of State has the incorporation date of May 6, 1882.

Map Reference
Hopkins 1872 Atlas, Plate 58 clearly shows this to be the Wainwright Brewery.
Subsequent Hopkins maps do not show a brewery. An 1884 Sanborn maps identify that St. Julien was located here but that it was closed and scheduled to become tenement housing.

Gangwisch Cooperage
The book
Industries of Pittsburgh, has information on Gangwisch at this location. It notes that the cooperage at the brewery was painted with blue, green and white.
Gangwisch had the Alleghany Brewery, above.

Diary of a 19th Century Brewmaster, by John Schneider:
Schneider was in Pittsburgh working at Gangwisch’s brewery for six months until Gangwisch went bankrupt. This was between 1875 and 1800.

Stirm Brewery
3508 Butler St
This brewery is shown on a Sanborn Map between Reed St and Thirty-Sixth Street, south side of the street. Hopkins Atlas 1900, Plate 27 shows J. G. Stirm as the property owner as late as 1890 (Plate 27). It is around the corner of the Winterton Brewery and both operated about the same time. Stirm’s Brewery was very small (20’ X 20’) with only one kettle and Mash Tun. The 1881 Pittsburgh Directory had Stim’s saloon at 35
th and Butler.
The last name on the Sanborn map is just a little bit obscure but they identify the brewery as James Strom’s Brewery. Opened 1874 Closed 1884

The Lawrenceville Historical Society mentioned John G. Stirm, Chapter Eight, Saint John Evangelical Lutheran of their website with a date of 1869.

Z Wainwright Brewery – Winterton Brewery
36th Street (Wainwright St) between Smallman and AVRR
Originated as the Josheph Wainwright Brewery
Please see the Special Interest chapter for Wainwright for an expanded document on the Wainwright and Winterton Breweries.
Established in 1818 by Joseph Wainwright and was continued by his sons, Jarvis and Zachariah after his retirement in 1852. This brewery was identified by Thurston to be an ale brewery in 1876 and the brewery local historians refer to as being the first to be built by Joseph Wainwright in 1818.

J Wainwright Brewery
46th Street (formerly Church St in the 17th Ward)
Followed by the St. Julien Brewery
Shown on Hopkins Atlas, 1872, Plate 58 as Wainwright Brewery
This was originally the J. Wainwright Brewery.
Hopkins 1872 listed J. Wainwright Brewery at the corner of Forty-sixth Street and AVRR as a leading business in Allegheny County. It changed to the St. Julien Brewery, but I have no firm date when that occurred.

Winterton Brewery
Original name for the brewery opened by Joseph Wainwright in 1818. The name was also applied to the Winterton Flour Mill operated by him on Wainwright Island.

Non-Brewing Entries

Church Brew Works (Brewpub)
3525 Liberty Ave
Opened 1996
Operating under Lawrenceville Brewery Co.
Sean Casey, owner
Bryan Pearson, original brewer

Church Brew Works Liquor License
Although the Church was not the first brewpub in Pennsylvania, it was the first to receive a full liquor license on December 6, 1996. Prior to that date, brewpubs were only permitted to sell the beer brewed. Despite having a restaurant tie, they were not permitted to sell wine or spirits until late 1996. Seam Casey

Full Pint Brewing Company
Trading as Wild Side Pub
5310 Butler Street
Open January 2015. Full Pint from North Versailles, Pa. has leased space from Wild Purveyor’s Market (5608 Butler St) to operate as an outlet.

Iron City Brewing Company LLC
3340 Liberty Ave.
Preceded by the Pittsburgh Brewing Company
The Pittsburgh Brewing Company reorganizes to become the Iron City Brewing Company, which is the brand name given to the prominent beer. Although brewing continued production was transferred to City Brewing in Latrobe. The last batch was brewed in Pittsburgh on June 22, 2009. The property was sold to Collier Development of Presto, Pa. in February 2012.

The Iron City Brewing Company had an active license (G25) (as of and prior to the search date of November 29, 2014) to manufacture malt beverage. Although the company does not have a GP license to operate as a brewery-pub, the plan for the Ober Haus was to transform it into a small restaurant with a brewery making small batch specialty beers. The license has expired.

Keystone Brewers Holding, L.L.C.
Not in the Regional Count – Placed here for reference only.
This is the parent (holding) company of the Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
Property Location: 3340 Liberty Ave.
Mailing Address: 919 North Market Street, Second Floor
Wilmington DE 198014921

Lawrenceville History

Lawrenceville has a rich history. William Foster, who founded the town in 1814 named it after James Lawrence. Lawrence was a naval war hero who fought in the War of 1812 and who made history by giving his last command just before dying in battle: “don’t give up the ship”. William had a son, Stephen Collins Foster who is known as the father of American Music.
Lawrenceville is home to the
Allegheny Arsenal.
Please visit the
Lawrenceville Historical Society for more.