South Side
Pittsburgh neighborhood (Allegheny County, Pennsylvania)

May 2019

South Side Historical Note

East Birmingham was created by legislature on April 10, 1849.
Birmingham was created by legislature on April 10, 1826.
Ormsby was created by court order on September 8, 1868.
Both were a part of Lower St. Clair.
The Borough of Birmingham was annexed by Pittsburgh in 1869.
Monongahela (from Smithfield Street Bridge to South 6
th St) was created by legislature on April 18, 1858. It was a part of South Pittsburgh Borough.

Brewery Locations

Bavarian Brewery
Owner: M. Winter Brothers Brewing Co. 1883 – 1899
Pittsburgh Brewing Company 1899
South 21st & Josephine St (since 1887)
1918 Brewmaster was K. Zimmerman
See Schiltz Brewing Co., Joseph, below.

The brothers bought an existing brewery at South 27
th & Josephine St. and named the company the Michael Winter & Bros. The company operated from 1883 to1893. The 21st Street Brewery opened on April of 1887. An advertisement in a German to English dictionary shows the brewery being established in 1883 and the company incorporating in 1895.

Michael, Alois and Wolfgang were the three brothers but at its beginning Michael appears to have been the principal of the firm.
From 1893 until 1899 the company was called the M. Winter Bros. Brewing Co. It was absorbed into the Pittsburgh Brewing Co. syndicate until prohibition in 1920.

The brewery was located between Josephine Street and the Mission Street Bridge, and between South 21
st Street and South 18th Street: Plate 6. The brewery was sold to Pittsburgh Brewing in 1899 and two of the brothers moved to New Jersey to open the Orange Brewery. Pittsburgh Brewing operated the plant until prohibition shut it in 1920.

Michael Winter owned property in 1901 at 2579 East Carson St, which appeared to have been a home: Plate 11. Other sources indicate that they lived at 2225, 2226 and 2227 Jane Street.

It was reported in the Review that Michael Winter opened a new brewery in Des Moines, Iowa.

Brownstone Brewery
See Hauch Brewery.

Diamond Brewing Co.
Owner: Peter Auen
This entry has been corrected on March 26, 2016
Entries in the Pittsburgh Directories place the Diamond Brewery at 1100 Manor Street from 1867 to 1897. Peter and Philip Auen were the owners.

Peter Auen (Manor Street) 1874-1877
Philip Auen (1100 Manor & 1210 Bingham Streets) 1877-1879
Peter Auen was at 1206 – 1210 Bingham Street in 1889 when he was refused a license from the Court of Quarter Sessions of Alleghany County on April 1, 1889.
But was granted one as a brewer in 1890. The
Pittsburgh Dispatch reported 125 wholesalers, bottlers, and brewers were refused a license under the Brooks law. Auen at this time may have been wholesaling beer and liquor. Tavern Trove’s reference to Meadow Street (South 18th Street) may be in reference to the tavern; see below.

A J Auen was refused a license in 1890 for the address a 10 South Diamond Street (now Bedford Square). This was a wholesale location.

An Auen family has been known to live at several locations in the South Side at the time. Peter Auen had a saloon and living quarters at 157 South 18
th in 1900. Peter Auen married Mary Magdalena Stubert

This entry should be read along with the Sheridan Brewery, below.

Bedford Square & Diamond Square
Diamond Square was the name of what is now known as Bedford Square, which is the location of the South Side Market House. Auen appears to have property in the area but no brewery is shown on any Hopkins map. Diamond Square was noted in Hopkins 1882, Plate 23 but Bedford Square in 1890, Plate 1. Typically, what we call “squares” today were once referred to as “diamonds”.

Diders, brewer
Unknown location
The Pittsburgh Business Almanac for 1867 had Diders, S., Birmingham listed with others under the heading of Brewers. They were separated from the larger brewing companies, which lead me to believe that they were small, independent brewers.

Duquesne Brewery
Owner: Duquesne Brewing Company (1899 – 1905)
Owner: Independent Brewing Company (1905 – 1933)
Owner: Duquesne Brewing Company (1933 – 1972)
Mary Street between South 21
st to South 22nd Streets
Operated from April 4, 1899 until 1972
With Independent Brewing from 1905 until 1933
(See Independent in the Allegheny County section)
1918 Brewmaster was Charles Wieland
The South Side brewery (Plant 1) was the main brewery with one in McKees Rocks (Plant 2) and one in Carnegie (Plant 3). The South Side located opened a new brew house in 1950 and thus the Rocks plant closed. The Carnegie plant closed in 1952. The South Side plant closed on November 30, 1972.

The Buildings
The original Brew House and Stock House (12-P-36) along S 21
st St (at Mary St) were built in 1899. An addition to the Stock House (12-P-45) was built in the rear along S 22nd St. In 1950 new Brew House (12-K-320) was built at S 21st & Mary St. This is the building with a curved wall. Along Jane Street was a Bottling House & Shipping building. Both were on 12-K-313. The brewery’s office (12-P-40) was at S 22nd & Mary. Additional shipping and warehousing structures were built along Mary between S 22nd & S 23rd.

Brewery Fire 1911 July 27
A piece of machinery sparked causing a fire resulting in $500 damages.

Brewery Fire 1917, January 11
A fire destroyed the stable and garage of the brewery. The Brewers Journal (Volumes 48-49) did not mention if any horses were iinjured.

Brewery Fire 1972, October
A large fire cause extensive damage to one of the buildings. The fire was at the time of a labor strike and occurred after ownership announced the plants closing.

Duke & Co. (Duke & Company is another entity)
Duquesne Brewing Company was known as Duke & Company by 1971 according to
Actual Loss for Legal Malpractice Recovery by Weisberg Law P. C., posted July 17, 2011. This was per Duke & Co. v. Anderson (Pa. Super. 1980). In checking with the Pennsylvania Secretary of State, Duke & Co. was created on February 3, 1967. Owners were listed as Raymond H. Sigesmund and Otto F. Kellman.

Adolph Oettingger was a brewer for the Port Angeles Brewery until 1907 when he became brewmaster at the Bluefield Brewing Co. of Bluefield, WV. That brewery closed in 1914 and Adolph became brewmaster for the Duquesne Brewing Co. until 1950. Source: Gary E. Flynn, 118 Sea Pines Rd, Bellingham, WA 98229-9365 and (accessed February 22, 2015).

Edel & Seiferth
2600 Josephine Street
Edel & Seiferth operated the Wilhelm brewery from 1885 to 1889. Henry Wilhelm had the brewery (see Wilhelm Brewery, below) and his wife Caroline took ownership of it after his death. In May of 1889, Edel left for Canton, Ohio to open a new brewery. Seiferth and bothers continued with the brewery until 1899 when Pittsburgh Brewing bought nearby Keystone Brewery and made Seiferth a superintendent.

Fretz & Co. Brewery
Josephine, north of Brown (S 26th Street)
Noted in the 1865 Pittsburgh Directory. Henry Wilhelm has his brewery at or adjacent to this brewery in 1867 and Henry’s father, who was a laborer was here in 1865.

Friedel Brewery
Owner: Henry Friedel
Followed by Rauch & Rudman Brewery
South 17
th & Josephine St
This address appears to be incorrect by today’s geography but Josephine Street continued from South 18
th to South 17th Street: Plate 3. The Directory of Pittsburgh, Allegheny and vicinity, 1900 book listing all of Pittsburgh’s streets identified 17th going to Josephine.
Henry Friedel was the first brewery on this site from 1872 to1884. It was then acquired by Rauch & Rudman and operated from 1884 until 1886 when it became Ch. Meussner from 1886 to1888.

Hauch Brewery
(AKA Brownstone Brewery)
Owner: Ernst Hauch (1853 – 1888)
Known as Hauch & Emmerling from 1876 to 1878 (see below)
Owner: Ernst Hauch's Sons (1888 – 1899)
Owner: Pittsburgh Brewing Company (1899 – 1904)
2601 Sarah St
See Peter Walter & Company, below
The G.P. & O.P. Hauch Brewery was not a very large operation although it did occupy several parcels of land in 1901: Plate 11. The 1882 Atlas, Plate 24 simply identified this property as a brewery without further identification. It was identified as being owned by the Pittsburgh Brewing Co. (as the G.P. & O.P. Hauch Brewery) in Hopkins 1901 Atlas, Plate 11. The brewery sat on 5 parcels of land (5 homes wide) along Sarah Street.

One Hundred Years of Brewing (H.S. Rich & Co., Chicago, 1901):
In 1849 Ernst Hauch commenced brewing in Pittsburg, and in 1853 transferred his struggling enterprise to the corner of Twenty-sixth and Sarah streets, the site of the present Ernst Hauch’s Sons brewery. The sons who were associated with him in the “50’s” were George P. and Otto P. Hauch.

Earnest, Charles and Henry Hauch were listed as brewers in the 1872 Pittsburgh Directory. Augustus was not but he was listed in 1870 as a laborer living at 1910 Fox Way. Ernst and Henry were living at 89 Sarah Street in 1871. Charles was a druggist on Grant Street at the time. Earnest was the only one listed in 1869 and Sarah was called Brown. The first time Earnst was entered in the directories was 1869.

Brownstone Brewery
Ernst Hauch was known to have stared brewing in 1849 but no information has been found to place the brewery. He was also known to have come to Pittsburgh in 1849. South 26
th Street was know as Brown Street and named after Mr. Brown who owned a large number of lots in the area. There is some (slim) evidence that Hauch started brewing below Carson Street before moving to Sarah Street. The name Brownstone may have originated in 1849.

Absorbed into the Pittsburgh Brewing Co. syndicate 1899
Pittsburgh Brewing Co., Ernst Hauck's Sons, 1899-1904
Aka: Hauck Brewery 1899-1900 as G.P. & O.P. Hauck

Meadville Brewing Company
Otto Hauch – Meadville Brewing: After the sale to Pittsburgh Brewing, Otto moved to Meadville. The Brewers’ Journal and Barley, Malt and Hop Trades’ Reporter, Volume 40, 1915 (February 1, 1916 section) had Otto P Hauch as President and Treasurer of the Meadville Brewing of Pennsylvania with George W. Gaub as Secretary. Rudolph Lichtwiz was brewmaster and superintendent. The brewery was idle since March 1, 1915 and reorganized.

Hauch & Emmerling
Emmerling: Empire Brewery, Johnstoww, Pa.
John Emmerling was 25 (b. 1851) years old when he appears to have come to Pittsburgh from Philadelphia. He partnered with Hauch from 1876 to 1878 as the brewery was listed in Pittsburgh Directories as Hauch & Emmerling, In 1872 he married Philopina Hauch, Ernst’s daughter. The Emmerlings moved to Johnstown, Pa. where he opened the Empire Brewery. John was killed in the Johnstown flood of May 31, 1889.

Discrepancy: Tavern Trove (.com) has this spelling as Hauch. The Real Estate Plat Book of the City of Pittsburgh, Volume 4, of 1901 has Hauck. The hand written lettering has a very clear h throughout but the k can be mistaken for an h. Other documents use Hauck.

May 9, 2014 Correction: Bottles have been found showing Hauch & Sons and other documents confirm the spelling as such. As of this date the name Hauch will be used in this work.

Hauch Brewery Caves
Hauch had caves at Josephine Street for storage. See the Josephine Comparative Notes page for this. Also, see Reichenbach Brewery, below.

Hilltop Brewing
I placed this brewery in the South Side page when this project began but the brewery is actually in the Borough of Mount Oliver where is now resides.

Hitchhiker Brewery
On January 12, 2015 (posting date by Pa. LCB) Hitchhiker Brewing Company, which was founded in Mt. Lebanon, received a provisional license to move the brewery to 1200 Muriel Street at South 12th Street. The move never took place due to issues with the sewer line and cost prohibitive expenses demanded by the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority.

Hofbraühaus Brewery & Restaurant
Owner: Hofbraühaus Pittsburgh
2705 South Water St at South 27th Street (South Side Works)
Opened March 2009
Eckhart Kurbjuhn was the start-up brewer with Ed Slouffman who was brought in from Cincinnati. The brewery is under the control of the Hofbraühaus in Munich, Germany. The American ownership group also controls the Cincinnati brewery. As of July 2015, the brewers were Shawn Setzenfand, and assistants Kyle Klein, and Levi Rounsville.

Hoffman Brewery
Huffman Brewery?
Denman Street (South 12th Street)
The Harris Pittsburgh Directory for 1841 has John Hoffman at Washington north of Centre (S 15
th) but for 1847 has John Huffman at Grosvenor (South 11th St). One of the names could have been a corruption. They are listed as a brewer. The 1856 directory has Hoffman at the corner of Grosvenor and Bingham, which would have been his residence.

Hogl Brewery (F. Hogl Brewery)
Hogel & Brothers Brewery
Owner: Frank Hogl
South 18
th St just above the bend at Josephine St
Hopkins 1872 Atlas, Plate 104
Followed by Philip Lauer Brewery
Hopkins identifies this property as being (Frank) F. Hogl Brothers and Hogl & Brothers Brewery (2 lots) along with two adjacent lots to Hogl. The rear of the property was facing Pius Street and this may have been a malt house. South 18
th Street was known as Brownsville Road in 1872.

In 1872, Eighteenth Street was also known as Meadow Street and did not extend above Josephine Street. The road that extended up from Josephine was known as Brownsville Road. Some documents place Hogl “at the head of 18
th Street”.

Frank Hogl came to America about 1830 and started brewing on 18
th Street in 1860. However, it is noted in A Century and a Half of Pittsburgh and her People that his first job in Pittsburgh was with Baeuerlein (spelled Bireline in the book).

Hogl & Rohry Brewery
Pius Street (between South 18th St (Brownsville Rd & South 12th St)
Hopkins 1872 Atlas, Plate 104
A second parcel of land on Pius Street was identified as the Hogl & Rohry Brewery. It fronted Pius Street but was also in-line with Gregory Street.

Started by Frank Hogl (d. 1860) and reportedly continued by his son John (1817 – 1897) when he died. John was still brewing in Greensburg at the time so this may be incorrect. Lauer started here in 1866.

Hogl had a malt house and malted grains for other breweries in addition to himself. It was known the he malted for Nusser on South 12
th Street.

Holstein (see Non-Brewing Locations, below)
Harris’ 1841 Pittsburgh Directory had John Holstein as a brewer living on Carson behind the Birmingham Hotel.
Owner: George & John Schaefer
Bingham Street
Business Directory for 1844 lists this brewery.
George & John Schaefer (also spelled Shaffer, Shafer) were brewers living at Diamond & Bingham Streets. J. Shaffer operated the Sheridan Brewery near South 9
th Street at Manor. The 1850 directory had Jacob Holstein having a tavern at Bradford (now Bradish)

Keystone Brewery
Owner: Keystone Brewing Co. (? – 1899)
Owner: Pittsburgh Brewing Co. (1899 – 1920)
3301 E Carson St
Opened 1887 Closed unknown
This brewery was independent until its sale to Pittsburgh Brewing Co. n 1899. PBC operated it as the Keystone Brewery until prohibition. The property extended from Carson to Sarah and also to the river: Plate 8.
1918 Brewmaster was Phillip Hoffman

According to archives at the University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Brewing still owned land at South 34th and McClurg (at or near the current FBI building) in 1949. Another document suggests the railroad had siding there about 1948 known as the Keystone Brewery siding.

Klinzing Brewery
Carson St, north of Joseph (S19th), East Birmingham
The 1863 Pittsburgh Directory noted the Mary K. Klinzing brewery. Reinhart Klinzing was a mixer in Smoky Hollow, Birmingham (Borough), as that part of South Side was known as. Joseph Street is now South 19
th 20th Street, which makes the directory’s entry seem reversed. But the 1860 directory has Henry Klinzing, brewer Carson near Joseph. The Pittsburgh Daily Post reported on February 6, 1867 that the brewery sustained a fire. It read: About eleven o’clock Wednesday evening, a fire broke out in the brewery of Henry Klinzing, situated near the corner of Joseph and Page streets, East Birmingham. Before the flames had made much headway it was discovered and extinguished with considerable difficulty before any material damage was done. The fire originated through a defective flue.

A photo shows the brewery and saloon at 1817-1818 E Carson.

John Klinzing (b. 1857) sold boot, shoes and Gaiters at 1812 E Carson Street in 1880.

Rectifying the Lauer – Leuer Problem
The 1887 Pittsburgh Directory listed George Lauer at 728 Manor.
The 1888 and 1899 Pittsburgh Directories has George Lauer at South Eighteenth Street. The 1888 and 1889 directories had the Lauer Brothers at Brownsville Avenue and Birmingham Road. Each of these directories spelled Lauer as such. Only Hopkins used the Leuer spelling. Misspelling names and initials was fairly common in the 1800’s and from the information above I assert the spelling of the name Lauer is correct and will be reflected in this work.

Lauer Brewery (Philip)
Owner: Henry Lauer
Preceded by Hogle Brewery
18th St (just above Josephine St), rear facing Pius St
George Jr. & Henry Lauer 1866-1867
Philip Lauer 1868-1899
AKA: Henry Lauer & Bros. 1890-1891
George Lauer (728 Manor St, Southside) 1847-1867 was an entry in American Breweries II and may be mistaken for the Leuer Brewery on 8
th Street. Manor Street is essentially P. J. McArdle Roadway today. George and Philip were living at Denman and Washington in 1856.
See Leuer, J. at S. 8
th Street and Manor, below.

The 1890 Hopkins Atlas, Volume 5, Plate 9 shows a brewery on land owned by Elizabeth Lauer.

Absorbed into the Pittsburgh Brewing Co. syndicate 1899
Pittsburgh Brewing Co. took over the brewery in 1899 but it was not listed as one of the breweries when PBC filed articles of incorporation so it is suffice to say that the brewery was closed after the purchase. See the Emil Gaertner entry in the Millvale page.

Leuer Brewery (correct spelling is Lauer)
Owner: J Leuer (should be George Lauer)
Un-named Way (extension of S. 8
th St) between Manor St and Wade St
The J. Leuer brewery was situated on the hillside of what is now PJ McArdel Roadway. The roadway was constructed in the early 1930’s.
This brewery was shown in the 1872 Hopkins Atlas, Plate 104 between Manor Street and Brownsville Turnpike (now Arlington Avenue). The property was tucked in the side of a hill and the footprint was not very large for a brewery. This area in 1872 was known as Birmingham Borough.

Leuer Street Steps
A set of steps adjacent to his property took the name of Leuer Street (a paper street) and is recognized by the City of Pittsburgh.

Shaffer’s brewery was off South 9
th Street and Leuer’s was off South 8th Street. (West of Nusser’s National Brewery)

Manor Street Brewery
Manor Street between South 10th & South 11th Streets but near S 11th
This is the Diamond Brewery, above.
Sanborn’s 1884 map, Volume 2, page 45 shows an un-named brewery at this location. It is not Nusser’s and too far from the Sheridan Brewery near South 9
th Street.

Meussner Brewing (Charles)
1700 Josephine St
Preceded by Henry Friedel Brewery
This address appears to be incorrect by today’s geography but Josephine Street did continued from South 18
th to South 17th Street at one time: Plate 3.
Henry Friedel was the first brewery on this site from 1872 to1884. It was then acquired by Rauch & Rudman and operated from 1884 until 1886 when it became Charles Meussner from 1886 to1888. The 1860 federal census lists a Charles Meusser, age 39 as a master cooper living in Reserve Township. It is possible that he saw this as an opportunity to own a brewery.

Mittler Brewery
Owner: John Mittler
Center Street (S. 15th St) and Neville Street (Muriel)
The book
A Century and a Half of Pittsburgh and her People, Volume 3 identifies Mittler having a very small brewery on the South Side before 1856. John Mittler was a tavern keeper at Carson and Harmony (S 17th St) according to the Directory of Pittsburgh and Allegheny Cities, 1856. He is first mentioned as a brewer in the 1844 Pittsburgh Directory. An 1847 directory has him at Center Street (S. 15th St) and Neville Street (Muriel) and the 1844 listed this location as a brewery. The name is spelled at times with one t or two. Harris’ Business Directory for 1844 lists this brewery but spelled the name Metler.

National Brewery
Owner: John Henry Nusser (son of John Nusser)
South 12th St at Birmingham St
See Nussuer Brewery, below.
John took over the brewery from his father in 1883 and operated it until 1900 when Pittsburgh Brewing Company sold the land to the railroad. Hopkins Atlas of 1872, Plate 104 shows the National Brewery so it was named so prior to the transfer to John Nusser’s son.
We know that PBC kept the brewery in operations after the January 1889 merger as Nusser was granted a license by the Court of Quarter Sessions on March 16,1899 (Saturday).

Nusser’s National (Beer) Gardens and Public Resort
The resort, established in 1877, was at the head of the Mt. Oliver Incline.
The resort, which was situated in Mt. Oliver contained a beer garden and hotel.
Nusser operated a tavern on South 12
th Street in Bedford Square. After the Mt. Oliver Incline opened he operated a beer garden at the head of the incline in Allentown on Alma Avenue, now E Warrington Avenue. He had previously sold the tavern.

Nusser’s National Hotel

Nusser – Mt. Oliver Incline Plane

Farmers and Mechanics Bank
John Nuser Sr. was a director of this bank, which incorporated in 1872. The bank at South 18
th and Carson Street is now known as PNC Bank.

Nusser Brewery
Owner: John Nusser
Denman Street, now South 12
th Street where it intersects Nusser Street.
John Nusser built a one-story shed in 1852 and installed a two-barrel kettle.
Thurston shows him in 1856 as cooper with a beer hall at Denman and Washington and having a brewery at the head of Denman.
Became the National Brewery and in1883 he sold it to his son.
Sold to Pittsburgh Brewing in 1899, which closed the plant and sold the land to the railroad in 1900.
Hopkins’ Historic Map (Group 1, 1872, Table of Contents) gives Manor Street, St. Clair Township. See, John M. Schafer-Sheridan Brewery, below.
The Sanborn Fire Insurance maps place the front of the brewery along the railroad tracks. George Poth was a brewer at this location in 1856. George Clemens work here until the brewery closed when he went to Duquesne Brewery. John Nusser (father of John H.) also owned a bar on South 12
th Street, which is currently the Club Café.

Tavern Trove (.com) has Birmingham Avenue, which is incorrect as it was called Birmingham Street at this time although there was an Avenue nearby. It is now Brosville Street. The brewery was at 12
th Street at the bend at Breed Street: Plate 3. The brewery sat on land now occupied by railroad tracks. Plate 6 of 1911 shows the brewery removed.
The 1857 Directory of Pittsburgh has Nusser making lager beer at the head of Denman Street, Birmingham. He is in the 1856 directory. Hopkins 1872 Atlas, Plate 26 shows the brewery but not named National. When looking south at the hillside, the brewery was just left (east) to the Mt. Oliver Incline Plane and left of the Knoxville Incline.

Nusser Street on the South Side Slopes, which entered the brewery, is named after him.

John H. McGowa of Cincinnati provided steam engine driven pumps so the brewery could transfer fluids without using gravity or manpower alone. This was one of the first breweries in Pittsburgh to install a steam engine.

Ormsby Brewery
Owner: John H. Reichenbach
th St (aka McClurg St) & Josephine St
(South 27
th St stopped at Edwards Way, McClurg crossed Josephine at this intersection.)
The land was located in the Borough of Ormsby. McClurg was the boundary with East Birmingham. Shown in Hopkins 1872 Atlas, Plate 114.
Followed by M. Winter Brothers Brewing
The 1901 Atlas, Plate 10 has Reichenbach owning property east of 27
th Street and also east of Oakley Alley. The Hauch Brewery had caves on this land. The Reichenbach and Hauch families were connected by marriage, which is probably why they were put in.

Discrepancy: Tavern Trove (.com) has the John H Reichenbach, Ormsby Ale Brewery at 2700 Josephine St, operating from 1872 to 1883. The spelling on Tavern Trove is incorrect also as it is not John N Keichenbach.
His name is given as John U. Reichenbach on a genealogy query web page.

John Reuhenbock
McClurg, Birmingham
1865 listed under Brewers and Malsters
Directory also had John Ruhenlark, brewer, Lower Saint Clair Twp. Near McClurg
I do not know if these names were misspelled or if this was the Reichenbach at this location. The only item tying this together is McClurg Street.

Peter Walter & Company
Brown Street (Birmingham Borough at the time), now South 26th Street
Thurston’s 1858 Pittsburgh Directory listed the company as a brewery on Brown. Hauch, who was also on Brown, was listed but only as Ernst. Peter Walter lived at 38 Market, downtown, but the brewery address was given at the head of Brown, which is Josephine Street. This would have been the Wilhelm’s (below) but Wilhelm was supposed to be in operations before 1858. Walter could have been in a nearby location other than at Wilhelm’s. George Walter was a grocer at Market and had a brother Peter. However, biographies of the family never mention them being in the brewing business. See Hauch Brewery, above.

Rauch & Rudman Brewery
Owner: Rauch & Rudman (1884 – 1886)
South 17
th St & Josephine St
Preceded by Friedel Brewery
Followed by Meussner Brewery
This address appears to be incorrect by today’s geography but Josephine Street continued from South 18
th to South 17th Street: Hopkins 1890 Atlas, Plate 3. The Directory of Pittsburgh, Allegheny and vicinity, 1900 book listing all of Pittsburgh’s streets identified 17th going to Josephine.
Henry Friedel was the first brewery on this site from 1872 to1884. It was then acquired by Rauch & Rudman and operated from 1884 until 1886 when it became Ch. Meussner from 1886 to1888.

I have the name Rudman but Hopkins 1872 Atlas, Plate 104 identifies property adjacent to the F. Hogl Brewery as belonging to Rudman. The William Rudman Brewery was located in Philadelphia.

Schmelz Brewery
Denman (S12th St), north of Washington (Sarah St)
This is speculative but Christopher Schmelz was listed in the 1857 Pittsburgh Directory as being attached to a brewery. There was a Schmelz brewery in the West End from 1887 but I do not know if the two are associated.

Union Brewery (N. Schaffer)
Schaefer Brewing (John & George)
Diamond & Bingham Street (S. E. Corner)
This may not have a connection to the Diamond Brewery in this area but I am still looking to confirm both breweries. Schaefer may not be the correct spelling and more likely Shaffer or Schaffer. I have the Union Brewery listed as a placed-entry below.

Hopkins 1872, Atlas Plate 104 shows John Schaffer owning a lot at this location. John Schafer owned the Sheridan Hotel at S12th & Sarah and George Schafer owned a number of lots in the vicinity of the current First Nation Bank (formerly Iron & Glass Bank). The name Schaffer was spelled by Hopkins differently at times. Fahnestock's Pittsburgh Directory of 1858 has N. Schaffer listed at Union Brewery, Bingham Street in Birmingham.

Schiltz Brewing Co., Joseph
Listed in the 1887 Pittsburgh Directory at Etna and Eleventh Streets and at South Twenty-first and Josephine. The Bavarian Brewery of M. Winter Brothers Brewing Co. (1883 – 1899) was also at the 21st Street location. Etna (between Smallman and the river) and Eleventh Streets are in the Strip District. These location could have been beer depots for the brewery from Milwaukee.

Schoenhofen Brewery, Peter
The Pittsburgh Press reported on April 9, 1897 of a granting of a brewing license by the court of Quarter Session. The brewery was based in Chicago. The company was based on Carson Street and would have been used as a depot.

Schmeltz, John
Thurston in Facts & Figures listed Schmeltz as having a brewery in Birmingham, which is now the South Side. Schmeltz is also listed in the West End page. I speculate that Thurston mistook the location. The 1856 Pittsburgh Directory listed Christopher Schmeltz as a brewer at Denham and Washington.

Seiferth Brothers Brewery, John
2600-2604 Josephine & 26th St as well as 2534 Josephine
Preceded by: Henry L. Wilhelm 1865-1882
Mrs. Caroline Wilhelm, Washington Brewery 1882-1886
Followed by: Edel & Seiferth, South Side Brewery (see above)
Washington Brewing Co. 1890-1895
John Seiferth & Brothers 1895-1899
I have no confirmation on the name Washington. Edel worked for Wilhelm, who was here prior to Seifert.

By 1899 the Seiferth brewery was at 2534 Josephine. The Pittsburgh Directory for 1899 had it as a branch of the Pittsburgh Brewing Company as J Seiferth & Brothers. John H. and Simone Seiferth were brewers and John Seiferth was the manager.

The 1916 Atlas, Plate 8 has this brewery shown as being owned by the Pittsburgh Brewing Company, which bought it in 1899.

John & Simon Seiferth did own land at this location (Plate 10) in 1901. John was born in Craimoos, Bavaria, Germany on July 31, 1856 and died in Pittsburgh in 1928. He is buried in St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery in Mt. Oliver. His brother was Simon, whom was also born in Craimoos on December 7, 1860 and died in Pittsburgh on October 28, 1909. He too is buried in St. Paul’s.

John, along with Alois Winter, was a director in the People’s Trust Company, 1736 E Carson Street. The Winter Brothers operated two breweries along Josephine Street.

Sheridan Brewery
Owner: Schaffer, John H
East Manor Street, Borough of Birmingham per 1872 Atlas.
As shown on the 1872 Hopkins Atlas, Plate 104 as Schaffer
Schaffer’s brewery was off South 9
th Street and Leuer’s was off South 8th Street. (West of Nusser’s National Brewery)

Directory of Pittsburgh and Allegheny Cities, 1856 lists John & George Schaeffer living at the corner of Bingham and Diamond Streets. Diamond is now Bedford Square. Henry Rupert was also on Diamond Street and all three were listed as brewers.

Plate 104 shows Shaffer and Plate 116 shows Schaffer. Hopkins 1872 Atlas, Plate 110 shows a Shaffer owning land in Chartiers as well as several lots on Chestnut Street near Mill Street in Temperanceville.

This brewery was in the borough of Saint Clair, which was south of Birmingham Borough. Manor Street was the boundary between Birmingham and St. Clair.

Hopkins’ Historic Map (Group 1, 1872 (Plate 116), Table of Contents) gives Manor Street, St. Clair Township, which is the same address as Nusser’s, above. They both appear to have been at this location at the same time period but the historic maps do not show Schafer’s.
Operated from 1874 to1882.

This entry should be read along with Peter Auen’s Diamond Brewery, above.

Sly Fox Brewery of Phoenixville
Terminal Buildings, South 4
th St.
The company is to install a brewery in the Terminal Building.
Pa LCB posted a pending brewing license on May 16, 2019

South Side Brewery
Owner: Edel & Seiferth
The 1885, 1886, 1887 Pittsburgh Directory has the Edel & Seiferth Brewery at 2600 Josephine Street. George Edel was living at 113 South 26
th Street.The 1885 directory identified the brewery as the South Side Brewery.

Unknown location but I believe it could have been on Josephine Street
I have this in my lost souls page but I am listing it here as well. Edel was associated with Wilheim and Seriferth, both of whom were on the South Side. I have little information on Edel & Leifers but I am assuming that they were here as well. Edel & Seiferth were noted in the 1887 Brewers’ Association convention.

Unknown location and may be in Canton, Ohio in 1891
Should not be assumed to be at Josephine & 26th Street. George Edel (December 17, 1840 – January 11, 1911) worked for Henry Weilheim prior to forming the Edel & Seiferth Brewery. The brewery started in 1885 but Edel left for Canton, Ohio in May 1889. His son, George J. worked for the Eberhardt & Ober Brewing Co. for three years from 1882 and for Phoenix sometimes after that. See Seifert Brothers Brewery, above.

Brewers’ Journal and Barley, Malt and Hop Trades’ Reporter, Volume 40, 1915 (February 1, 1916 section) had George Edel as founder of the Edel & Seiferth Brewing Co in 1885 as well as the Union Brewing Co. in Canton, Ohio in 1889. The two companies were consolidated in 1891. He died in Canton on January 11, 1916. After his death the company was merged with the Stark-Tuscarawas Breweries Co. of Canton. Edel was born in Kirchweller, Alsace in 1840 and came to America in 1860.

The 1887 Pittsburgh Directory has John Seiferth as a laborer at South 12
th Street and Manor and a second entry for John as a laborer at Nusser, but this would his living quarters and not him working for Nusser.

Union Brewery (N. Schaffer)
Diamond & Bingham Street (S. E. Corner)
See: Schaefer Brewing (John & George), above.
Fahnestock’s Pittsburgh directory for 1850 listed N Schaffer, Union Brewery at Bingham, Birmingham Borough.

Wilhelm’s Brewery, Carolina
Josephine St between South 26th & Barry St
The Barry Street bend is behind the brewery
See Edel & Schaefer Brewing, above.
The Sanborn Fire Insurance map has entries shown to cellars that indicate caves in the hill under Barry Street. Hopkins 1876 Atlas, Plate 25 shows an un-named brewery at this location.
Pittsburgh Industries has it starting in 1865.

Based on entries in the Pittsburgh Directories, it appears that the Henry Wilhelm Brewery started in 1867. His father, George, was living at this location in 1865 and was listed as being a laborer. The1882 directory stopped listing Henry and started listing Caroline as the widow of Henry. This continued until 1890. Mrs. Wilhelm was the proprietor of the brewery after Henry’s death but it is not known if the brewing continued. She was known to be operating a saloon here in 1887.

By 1899 the Seiferth brewery was at 2534 Josephine. The Pittsburgh Directory for 1899 had it as a branch of the Pittsburgh Brewing Company as J Seiferth & Brothers. John H. and Simone Seiferth were brewers and John Seiferth was the manager.

Bismark Street Brewery (See North Side page)
Joseph J. Wilhelm and Christian Wilhelm were associated with this brewery on the North Side but it does not appear they were related to Henry or Caroline. By coincidence when Caroline seemed to have ended the brewery in 1888 a Franz Wilhelm was listed as a brewer at 61 Concord Street, Allegheny City.

Just east of the brewery (east of Barry Street) are beer cellars for storage by the E (Ernst) Hauck. East of that (east of South 27
th Street) is the M. Winter Brewery.

Documents show George Edel working here in the early 1850’s prior to he and Seiferth forming a brewery.

Winter & Brothers Brewery
Owner: Winter Brothers
South 27
th & Josephine St
Preceded by Reichenbach Brewery
The brothers bought the existing Reichenbach brewery at South 27
th & Josephine St. and named the company the Michael Winter & Bros. The company operated from 1883 to1893. The 21st Street Brewery opened on April of 1887. The brothers arrived in American in 1873 and arrived in Pittsburgh in 1883.

Josephine Street Breweries

Please see the Josephine Street Comparative Notes.

Non-Brewing Locations

Beer Garden
Placed here for reference.
The Hopkins 1872 Atlas, Plate 116 shows a beer garden within the Ormsby estate. The garden is between Spruce Street extension and an un-named way and between Eleanor Street (to the west) and Holt Street. In 1872 this area was known as Saint Clair.

Christian Moerlein Warehouse
Placed here for reference.
Christian Moerlien Brewery of Cincinnati operated a warehouse & bottling line in what is known as the B. M. Kramer Building on Sidney Street between South 20th & South 21st Streets. An Allegheny County Plat Book map of 1920 shows Moerlein’s beer warehouse & bottling house; E. F. Rusch. James Bryce once owned this property in 1901: Plate 12.

PA State Supreme Court (William A) Seifert v. (Ernest A) Rusch 1920: That defendant Rusch held title as a trustee to property the Christian Moerlein Brewery

Similar Names: Please note the difference in spelling of William A Seifert, and J Seiferth, below.

Holstein, John
Harris’ 1841 Pittsburgh Directory had John Holstein as a brewer living on Carson behind the Birmingham Hotel.
Owner: George & John Schaefer
Bingham Street
Business Directory for 1844 lists this brewery.
George & John Schaefer (also spelled Shaffer, Shafer) were brewers living at Diamond & Bingham Streets. J. Shaffer operated the Sheridan Brewery near South 9
th Street at Manor. The 1850 directory had Jacob Holstein having a tavern at Bradford (now Bradish)

Independent Brewing Company
The main office in 1918 was the First National Bank building.
Plant 1: South 21st, 22nd, & Mary Streets
Formed in 1905 with 15 breweries. See more on the Independent Brewing Company in the Special Interest section.

Lascheid Bottling Works
Placed here for reference.
84 South 13th St between East Carson St & Sarah St
Adjacent address to 82: Weilersbacher Bottling Works.
Lascheid had a bottling plat at Josephine at S 26
th next to the Seiferth brewery.

South Side Bottling House
2322 Josephine St
It was known as the Birmingham Bottling Works in 1890 (Hopkins Plate 9). John Henry Nusser, son of John Nusser worked at the Birmingham Bottling Works when he was in his teens. The property was owned by A. Winter (formerly with Winter Brothers, brewers) in 1916 as shown on Hopkins, Plate 8.

Weilersbacher Bottling Works
82 South 13th St between East Carson St & Sarah St
The bottling works were on the site of Armstrong Playground and what was once the Sam McKee Glass Works.
The Albert P. Weilersbacher Beer Distributor was here in the 1960’s.
The Hotel Weilersbacher, which is now a tavern, is located at 80 South 12
th Street. John Weilersbacher built the hotel in 1891.

John Weilersbacher was a director of the Moose Brewing Company.

Moose Brewing Co. (Roscoe), 1903-1950
Good Street at Hickory Alley
The brewery was located in Roscoe. Pa. Roscoe is in Washington County and is south of Belle Vernon on Rt. 88. The brewery operated from 1903 until 1950 with a break during prohibition. It was also known as the Moose Brewing Company of Lucyville. I do know that it went by that name from 1904 through 1910, as that is how it was reported to the state for tax collections.